Body pain in Midtown Manhattan, NY
Body pain can be an acute or chronic condition, happening suddenly, or gradually building over time. Body pain is also one of the most common reasons people seek out the help of a chiropractor.
Causes of Body Pain
Body pain can be caused by a wide variety of factors, including:
- Overall health
- Vehicular accidents
- A sports or activity injury
- Lifting heavy objects
- Improper body mechanics
- Chronic conditions like arthritis
- Acute conditions like a virus or infection
Types of Body Pain
There are a few main pain categories, which include:
Nociceptive pain–examples of which inflammation, sprains, fractures, burns, and bruises. Nociceptive pain is caused by stimulation of pain receptors known as nociceptors.
Neuropathic or nerve pain–examples of which are sciatica and diabetic neuropathy. Neuropathic pain is caused by improper function or damage to the nervous system.
Mixed pain–which is a combination of nociceptive and neuropathic pain. Examples of mixed pain include migraine headaches, TMJ, and myofascial pain.
How You Can Prevent Body Pain
There are a few important steps you can take to help prevent body pain. Remember to:
- Avoid overdoing it when you first exercise
- Begin with a comprehensive stretching routine to warm up your muscles
- Use proper body mechanics when you lift objects
- Wear supportive footwear for your sport or activity
- Try to maintain a healthy weight
How Your Chiropractor Can Help With Body Pain
Your chiropractor has several treatment options to help you get relief from body pain. Common treatments include:
- Manual manipulation and adjustment, to correct poor body alignment and relieve strain on muscles and nerves
- Thermal therapies including applying heat and ice to relieve muscle strain
- Therapeutic massage to relax tense, strained muscles, tendons, and ligaments
- Counseling about proper body mechanics, lifting, and other movements
- Nutritional and exercise counseling to help you achieve optimal health