Sciatica Specialist in Midtown Manhattan, NY
Dr. Peterson is skilled at relieving the painful symptoms of sciatica, helping patients from Manhattan's Midtown East neighborhoods reduce pain, numbness, tingling, and other sensations for improved quality of life.
Sciatica isn’t a condition but rather a symptom you experience as a result of an underlying problem within the musculoskeletal system. If you are experiencing a burning, tingling pain that runs from the hip down the buttock and the leg then you might have sciatica. Sciatica often occurs on just one side only. If you are dealing with sciatica, find out how our chiropractor Dr. Peterson and the team at Peterson Chiropractic can help alleviate your symptoms and improve how your body functions.
What causes sciatica?
In many cases, sciatica is the result of sciatic nerve compression. Other causes of sciatica include,
● Misaligned lumbar discs
● Herniated or bulging discs
● Pregnancy and childbirth
● Non-spinal disorder (e.g. diabetes)
● Piriformis syndrome (common)
● Spinal tumors (rare)
How is sciatica diagnosed?
Since sciatica is a symptom of an underlying problem, the first thing our chiropractor Dr. Peterson will do is go through your medical history and perform a thorough physical evaluation. In some instances, depending on other symptoms you are experiencing or your medical history, we may recommend imaging tests such as X-rays or an MRI to rule out certain spinal disorders or injuries.
How can a chiropractor help my sciatica?
The goal of chiropractic treatment is to improve how the body functions by facilitating the body’s natural healing response. Many people turn to chiropractic care because it is a nonmedicinal and non-surgical way to treat a variety of conditions. Once we figure out what is causing your sciatica we can create a treatment plan that is tailored to your specific needs and health. There are multiple therapies and chiropractic options designed to ease your symptoms and improve your condition. Some of these treatments include,
● Cold therapy: this form of therapy can be effective for reducing inflammation and pain
● Ultrasound: ultrasound waves are directed over the area to penetrate through the tissue to
reduce swelling, pain, and muscle spasms while boosting circulation to the area
● Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS): electrical pulses are used to reduce chronic pain and muscle spasms
● Spinal manipulation: one of the classic treatment options of chiropractic care, spinal manipulation helps to restore misaligned vertebral discs and improve the overall alignment of the spine, which in turn speeds up the healing process and reduces pain and inflammation